Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Calabogie

Wow, what a fun race. It started off with an early morning, because I had to pack all my stuff. My mom was coming up from Oshawa to help me move out of my apartment for the summer. So, after moving all my stuff from the 3rd floor to the trailer in the parking lot, we heading off to Calabogie. My roommate/best friend was to be joining us for the day, but unfortunately he wasn't racing... just cheering, feeding and playing with my dog, Caesar.

The race started, and I must say, we were all looking pretty shard in the new kit. Anyways, there were lots of attacks, and it was kinda hectic from the start, then i decided to start throwing down a bit. I chased down a few attacks, then I made a bridge (which soon thereafter got caught). Tried to get something going with some team mates, Warren, and Doug, but it didn't stick. Then I did a a big long solo bridge attempt, which was probably a dumb move. Anyways, everything came together, and I was breathing really hard. Then, a break of about 10 guys went up the road. They hovered there for a little while, and since Osmond and Doug were in it, I wasn't going to chase.

About 2 minutes later, and they were maybe 100m up the road. I tried to bridge up to them, and was successful! No one followed, and now the group was pretty decent. I guess we all decided that it was "go time" because for the next hour, it was fast, and furious, rotating echelon, and put some good time into the pack. Pretty soon they were out of sight, and we just kept trucking.

I must say, i'm 100 times more comfortable on the road bike this year than last. I was finally the one offering advice "stay tight guys!" instead of the one being yelled at. This felt good. The break stayed together, allthough Doug got dropped, which was a bummer. Towards the last few laps, attacks started, and a guy in yellow named "Patrice" took off with a few km left, and no one answered. Then with about 600m to go, and after I had taken a decent pull (again, probably a dumb move) Osmond took off, and stayed away to nab 2nd.

Finally Colin took the lead, with me on his wheel, and the fact that I have no sprint became obvious, as I took 7th, out of the 8 guys who were in the break. I guess i technically finished 5th in the sprint, but it was still pathetic. I need to work on that...

All together it was an awesome race, and I felt super strong all day. I set several new power records, averaged 298W for the 111 km, and never really felt that I was on the rivet. Can't wait untill Mansfield!

No comments:

Post a Comment